Friday, October 7, 2016

Bending the rules until they break


Greetings and salutations my friends! Since this is my first post here on The Tech Whacko, I figured I should probably introduce myself. There are probably at least a few of you who haven't yet been subjected to my rambling nonsense from one of the other blogs I write and therefore don't have a clue who I am. 

My name is Jesse and when I'm not blogging, I work for a Managed IT Services Provider in my professional life. (I'm maintaining my amateur status for blogging.) I have always loved technology, but didn't have a real appreciation or great understanding of it until I was surrounded by computer gurus all day. Up until recently, I could hold my own when it comes to computers and technology, but after a couple of years in the information technology field, I now know enough to be really dangerous. 

I do struggle a bit with following the rules when it comes to technology though. You could say I have a split personality when it comes to tech. I spend all day talking to clients about best practice recommendations for hardware and software and the importance of leveraging their business information and reducing risk. A lot of this involves keeping your hardware and software up to date. 

On the flip side, I hate spending money on technology at home. Actually, I enjoy spending money - I just don't have a lot of discretionary income that I can justify throwing at technology. Because of this, I tend to use my hardware way past the recommended life and use free software whenever humanly possible. I should point out that while this mentality is not a smart move for a business, the risk is far less for me on the personal side. 

My intent with blogging on The Tech Whacko is to share a number of things I have learned from my time in the IT industry. As I write this, I have about ten different ideas bouncing around in my head. There are a lot of practices on the security side of things that apply to individuals just as much as businesses these days. Nobody is free from hacking because the tools are cheap and easy to come by. There are tips and tricks for making the most of what you've got. There are even a few things where you're better off not getting the latest and greatest. 

As for my preferences, I am pretty tolerant of all the operating systems out there. My first computer was an Apple IIe, but that was the last Apple/Mac I used for 25+ years. I have used primarily Windows for work and pleasure until about a year ago. I made a jump to Linux at home in the past year to make better use of some older equipment and I've really been excited about it. 

As for phones, I have always been an Android guy. My preference of Android over iOS hasn't changed, but I've only recently (7 days ago) gotten my first iPhone. It's a work phone - so beggars can't be choosers. I see it as an opportunity to learn more about the iPhone and I'm sure it will generate some ideas as I learn more about it. 

We'll see what comes up. I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone else thinks as well. Maybe we'll all learn something here. Until next time....