Friday, January 8, 2016

My new Fit Bit, a New Life

It has been over 4 years since I had a cigarette, just walked away, and haven't looked back, not even once. For over a year I have been going to the gym every other day. Life changes, and it is a good idea to try to make the changes positive whenever possible. Particularly when your age approaches a number that seemed ridiculously high not too long ago. Exercise, eat healthy, and try to live forever, that is my new motto. To that end my wife bought me a FitBit Surge for Christmas.

Man, is that a nice looking device, or what?
It is an amazing device. It measures steps taken, stairs climbed, heart rate, water consumption (I haven't figured out that bit yet), and caloric intake (or that bit, either). By the way, I have a resting heart rate of 56, put that in your pipe and smoke it, then check out your heart rate, it will be astronomically high, smoking kills.

I love it, it syncs with my PC and my iPhone. You can pick one of 4 different watch faces (Orbit is my favorite), and it tells you who is calling or texting, so I know who I am ignoring.

It does have a dark side, though. It becomes an obsession. Sometimes, instead of calling, or emailing a coworker, I will walk over and ask the question in person, just to get my steps up. And nobody in the company wants to see me that often. If there is something needed from the second floor, I will carry it up the stairs. And sometimes I will just walk around the floor, just to pad my count. It is like an addiction.

So, while this has been fun, and I enjoy posting on +Jeremy Crow's blogs when he isn't looking, I need to go walk around, maybe up the 4th floor, where I will take the elevator to the first floor so I can walk up the stairs to the third floor. Then, maybe, there will be a few minutes between steps to do some work. Maybe.