Friday, August 21, 2015

Match three, Farms and Castles. A game.

This is not a photo or video app, so I am a little out of my league. But, what the heck it is Friday, and I am feeling brave. Farms and Castles by Square Enix (one of my favorite game companies) is simple in premise, and execution. It is a game of matching three things and turning them into something new. Then you match three of these new creations, and make something different. Until the whole playing field is chock full of things that can't match and you end up screaming at your phone, and everybody in the library, lunch room, or police station is looking at you.

In this game the tiles are represented by wood and stone, but that is not really new. One stone when matched turns into three stones, which turn into a wall, and when these are matched in three they turn into a castle then something that is bigger and after that it probably turns into something even bigger, but I haven't gotten there yet.

The wood follows a similar pattern, some sort of a loom, and from there, something even more difficult to recognize. After that, who knows.

It doesn't really matter what you call them, though, they are goals, and trying to reach them it the real thrill.  They could be minnows, dolphins, and whales. 

There are some new features in this game, which are probably very useful, but I haven't really figured them out yet. Of course every match three game has something a little different, something unique. And those are good too, I'm sure. But, I don't have those, so I can't make any promises.

Every match three game has some score keeping device, but people don't pay any attention to those. The real appeal is packing as many moves as possible into the game, matching things, planning, and maneuvering, and making space, using corners, and in general kicking a little bottom three tiles at a time.

If you like games that require a little planning, and not quite so much reaction this is a good choice.

It can be addictive, thinking I know I can do better than that. Go ahead, check it out, and if you figure out the Magic Orbs, let me know.