Thursday, June 11, 2015

The RCA Maven Pro 11.6

I think I might have accidentally found out where the future of Google + is actually going, when I started using my early father’s day gift. Well first let me get to the wonderful gift I got, and then I will move along to my revelations about the future of Google services (like G+ and others) that became a secondary note along the way. My wife got me an RCA 11 Maven Pro. Now let’s get past the fact that it is an RCA tablet, and it runs Android 5 Lollipop, and all the cool kids own an iPad and I don’t, to the real meat of the issue here. This Tablet has a lot of features that I like but the sparkly things public, does not.

First the meager technical specifications:
Model Number: RCT6213W87DK
Operating System: Android 5.0
Chip: Quad Core
Chipset Model Number: MT8127
Resolution: 1366 x 768
Screen Features: 11.6" IPS
RAM: 1GB
RAM Type: DDR SDRAM
Capacity: 32GB
Camera: Yes
Camera Specifications: Front Facing: 2M pixel webcam – Rear: 2M pixel webcam
Battery Life: 8 hrs
Battery Life Details: Watching movie (WiFi off): 4 hrs
Connectivity/Audio: mini HDMI, USB 2.0, micro SD, micro USB, Headphone Jack
Dimensions: 262(W)x165(H)x11.5(D)
Weight: 2.78 lbs (because of the detachable keyboard)
Software: Wal-Mart, Sam's Club, Vudu, WPS Office
Included Accessories: Keyboard, AC Adapter

This thing is NOT going to break any land speed records. It is NOT going to compete with most of the mainstream tablets on features. What it is going to do is be affordable. Tablet and detachable keyboard $169 at your local Wal-Mart, and I didn’t get this on a lark either. I actually did my research for what I personally needed, which was something to write on when I didn’t feel like being tied to my desktop computer that would run Google Apps unlike that crappy Surface I complain about all the time.

What I found out as I used this thing is that it has a lot of other things about it that are “cheap” but I like. First of all it is plastic. If there is one thing I can’t stand about a lot of tablets out there is that they are rubber, or shiny metal, or a variety of other materials that make it hard to hold. This tablet without the keyboard attached fits extremely comfortable in my hand even as wide as it is. This has been a problem with other tablets I have tried and I didn’t even consider that when I looked into this one.

Now onto the Google portion of this. I set up my Google accounts and then I used the Google+ App. Holy smokes, I was onto something here. Where Google+ gives you two rows of content on most computers, and if you have figured out on your own, it will give you three rows if you set your resolution really high, straight out of the box this thing gave me four rows. I was a little shocked but it made the Google + experience even that much better than it has been all along. Now technically speaking this is just a cell phone app ported to a tablet, so I think I understand why Google is so gung ho to make everything “phone friendly” because they have made their apps as such. I never would have realized this without a more modern Android Tablet. It appeared that Google Mail is a breeze to use on the tablet as well, making it so I don’t even want to open Outlook on my desktop anymore.


It’s strange how just going out and getting a cheap tablet will open your eyes to a lot of things. All I heard was crying and complaining about Lollipop, but it makes KitKat seem as bad as I thought it was. Perhaps I am just too easily impressed. It wouldn’t be the first time I have been accused of that anyway. I think a lot of people get so obsessed with what Apple is doing or Microsoft is doing and they overlook Google at times. I know there are a lot of people that think Google is the center of all that is evil in the universe too, but again I have to keep my eyes on the places that I go and the things that I do. I’ve never seen Apple or Microsoft do anything to help my online existence. Google at least as I always point out has a stake in my success, and again I get reminded of that when I hold an Android tablet.